Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Cloth Covered Bulletin Board

I have been in the process of redoing my craft/work area. Its a very long process because I want it to be just right.  I am trying to reuse a lot of the things I already have.  While looking through everything I decided to update my boring old cork board.

I found a really cute print at JoAnn Fabrics in the clearance section and purchased 3 yards (even though I knew it was too much but wanted extra in case.)  Once I got it home, I ironed the fabric and laid the fabric on the board.  I went around the perimeter with a butter knife tucking the fabric in between the frame and board.

After the fabric was all tucked in I started going around inside the frame placing push pins all the way around.  This took a lot longer than I could have imagined and my fingers were pretty sore!!

I left enough excess fabric to pull down tight in back.

I was going to use a staple gun to keep the back fabric down but it would not go into the frame and the actual cork board was too thin.  Instead I used hot glue to keep the fabric down.

I love the way it came out.  I like it so much I almost don't want to use it as bulletin board.  As soon as my work area is complete I will post a photo of it.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Wine Bottle Decor

Some projects come out much better than expected while other projects are nothing like you the picture in your head.  The other day I had a great idea (or so I thought.)  I wanted to make Halloween wine bottles for decoration.  It seemed so promising….did not turn out the way I had hoped.

I first cut the bottoms off the wine glass by scoring the bottom and going back and forth pouring boiling water and ice water on the bottom of the bottle.  This took a little time and I will have to practice this a little more in order to make the cut even at the bottom.  After the cut was complete I sanded down the bottom to get rid of any jagged edges.

I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut a few Halloween shapes out on contact paper.

Next, I set up a spray paint station in the garage and got to work. I did at least 7 coats on each bottle.  I wanted to make sure there there wouldn't be any light peaking through in any other place than where I wanted.

After giving the bottles ample time to dry I peeled the contact paper off the bottles.  I was really excited to see how it came out but I was so disappointed when I put the candles inside and realized the light was not bright enough to show the design.  I tried every combination I could think of but unfortunately nothing worked.  There was also a problem with the candle not staying light in one of the bottles.

I picked up mini halloween lights at the dollar store and they work better than the candles but it is still not the look I was hoping for. It is a cute decoration and the boys seem to think its neat and they are really the only critics I care about.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Weekend Baking Round up

Every year around this time I feel the overwhelming need to bake.  I think its not only ingredients that are in season (apples, pumpkins) but also the cool air.  I can't stand turning on the oven in the summer but when the temps start dropping it feels so homey to have something baking in the oven.  As I have said before, I am addicted to Pinterest and discovering new recipes.  Over the weekend I decided to give a few a try.  

-Mrs. Fields Oatmeal cookies mix (Found it Christmas Tree Shop) but I added white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.

I love these Pumpkin cookies.  They are on the healthy side, very little sugar, whole wheat flour and no butter.  There are some chocolate chips so this really satisfies the sweet tooth but I do not have to feel guilty eating it or packing it as a snack for my little guy.

I was really excited to try out this spider chocolate chip cookies idea.  I decided to stay with the recipe provided because I wanted to make sure it was a flatter cookie that would be easy to put the spider on.  My husband LOVED these cookies and I think they are a really cute festive idea for this time of year.  I am going to make them for a fall festival bake sale at my sons school.

I also made these Healthy Carrot muffins from Martha Stewart.  This is actually the second time I have made them.  They satisfied everyone in my house which is amazing.  My kids loved them for breakfast, I love them and my husband (who is not always the easiest to please especially when something is healthy) enjoys them.  I found a Jack-O-Lantern cupcake mold I forgot I had and made half the muffins using it.  The boys loved it and probably half the reason they eat them!

All in all the weekends baking was a success.  I would 100% recommend trying out any of these recipes.